Suffering from itchy skin rashes. Not cured by cetirizine. Suggest effective medicine

Dr. Kruti

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am suffering from itching and skin rashes for past 12 months. I consulted a skin specialist in last December and he prescribed some medicines (cetirizine) and said it will go after some time but the problem is still there. I take 1 tablet of cetirizine every alternate day. When it starts, I have it all over my whole body.
Please suggest a test and some medicines.
Answered by Dr. Kruti 20 hours later
Hello

I will be glad to be of assistance.

Skin rashes and itching can occur due to various causes. It can be due to an infection, allergy etc.

If the rashes that you mention come and go on their own, its probably urticaria.

However it would be the best if you could give me a few more details regarding the rash so I can understand your concern better.

Depending on the type of the lesions, location and distribution of the rash, a dermatologist can diagnose the condition.

Kindly let me know a few more details like colour of the lesions, type of lesions, where are they located, are they grouped together, what's the shape and size?

Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kruti 46 hours later
Itching starts and it happens everywhere. Legs, hands, ear...everywhere(only on skin). As soon as I feel an itch I scratch the spot of the itch with my fingernails. Wherever I scratch, I see the rash of the same size. I take citrizine to avoid itching. Once I take citrizine, itching stops for there is no problem for 2 days. No other problems.
Answered by Dr. Kruti 6 hours later
You seem to be having urticaria. Its also called hives. Its a condition where there are red raised lesions all over the body with lot of itching.
These lesions are of various sizes and shapes and they come and go on their own. They need prompt treatment.
Urticaria may be idiopathic or may have a variety of causative factors, there is an exhaustive list available but to tell you the truth its really difficult to pin point one thing.

The best thing to do is to start prompt treatment for immediate relief.

Tablet fexofenadine once in the morning and tablet loratidine once at night for 3 months. Its necessary to take medications for atleast 3 months to suppress the process. you can visit your dermatologist to get a prescription for these medications.

You can apply calamine lotion on the rash to soothe it. Twice a day till there is a rash

Urticaria can be caused by foods, medications, pollen, house dust etc.

Avoiding fish, milk, nuts for 15 days would be a good idea and see if it further helps you.
Please feel free to ask me in case you have any queries.