Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Suffering from itchiness in genitals resulting in black skin. How to treat this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2609 Questions
i am suffering from itching from the past 5 years on the private part and due to this i got very black skin please give suggestion to avoid itching and black skin..
Posted Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Genital candidiasis or neurodermatitis Detailed Answer: Hi I completely understand your concern and I hope I am able to help you for the same. Now firstly, I would like to tell you that there are many causes of itching over the genitals.It is sometimes necessary to examine and see the skin condition to look for the cause. But as far as the most important causes of itching over genitals is concerned, it can be either a fungal infection or it can be a type of skin eczema namely neurodermatitis. I would like to know if there is any associated discharge also. Is there any whitish curdy discharge or it is just a dry itch? Now as far as the treatment is concerned, First some general precautions: Wear cotton clothes and undergarments in order to reduce the sweating. Do not apply any kind of oils / moisturizing lotion over the affected area . Just clean and dry the affected area twice a day and then apply an antifungal-steroid combination cream. Something like clotrimazole-beclomethasone cream(Candid-b) helps in most cases. Also , you will need to take oral antifungals like fluconazole once a week for 2 weeks. In case of severe itching, take some antihistamine once a day . This treatment will cover both the causes of itching. Now as far as the pigmentation is concerned, first of all, you need to avoid itching. Itching or scratching the area tends to increase pigmentation. Once the skin itching is treated, then you can start treatment for skin pigmentation. For this you can apply a cream containing kojic acid and vitamin c combination over the affected area twice a day. Since it is a very sensitive area , so we cannot give very strong lightening agents. The advised combination is a mild one and can be used for a long period of time. Hope it helps If you have any other queries, please ask. Best wishes for a speedy recovery Dr Geetika Paul MD( Dermatology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor