Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Suffering from high fever and chills. What treatment should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
First Aid for Fever and Chills, under blankets, temp. 102
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
As you might know fever with chills is often an indication of an underlying infection either bacterial or malarial or high fever temporarily however a thorough evaluation and management by your doctor is a must for it's cure.

1. Drink Plenty of Fluids.It is essential to drink plenty of water, so that you never get dehydrated, especially in case of high fever. Botanical tea is also recommended. There are various vitamins and minerals in vegetable and fruit juices that will help your body during high fever. Beet or carrot juice is, especially, recommended in fever.
2.Bathing with cool water is one of the simplest remedies. Always bathe in mildly cold or lukewarm water. You can add some ginger oil to the bath for added benefit.
3.Application of a cool wet cloth on the forehead is the first aid remedy to reduce fever fast.
4. If fever persists please take an antipyretic as per prescription by your doctor . Medication commonly prescribed to decrease elevated temperature in adults are acetaminophen and ibuprofen. These prescription drugs have to be administered as one tablet every 6-8 hours to reduce the fever
5. Do not bundle up yourself in blankets if the temperature rises above 103 as this could further increase body temperature .
Although fever is a sign that the body is fighting infection, in case it is accompanied with symptoms like problem in breathing, a stiff neck, confusion, irritability and vomiting it could be an indication of some serious disease. In case the fever does not subside after 3 days, and continues for more than 5 days, it is necessary to call a doctor and seek medical help.
As of now I would recommend you to take an antipyretic , enough rest and plenty of water for a faster recovery.
Hope I have answered your query .
Kindly accept my answer in case you have no further queries.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor