Suffering from diarrhea, abdominal cramp, weight loss, nausea and back pain. Chances of colon cancer?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Colon Cancer
Question: Hello!
Do the following symptoms correspond with colon cancer or any other type of cancer: diarrhea (or sometimes if not diarrhea it's unusual stools, watery), occasional cramps in the lower abdomen - middle, regular spasm/palpitations in lower abdomen especially at night, loud gurgling noise from intestines (especially at night), increased frequency of bowel movements, feeling the urgency to have a bowel movement especially after a meal and feeling better after having the bowel movement, feeling that bowel is not fully emptied, chills, loss of appetite, loss of weight, sometimes nausea? Patient had some back pain in the past but it resolved after taking antibiotics (Ciprofloxacin & Metronidazole). Symptoms like spasm/palpitations in low abdomen especially at night, loud gurgling noise from intestines (especially at night) are the most frequent and upsetting as well as the urgency to empty bowel which is even waking up the patient during night.
Please note that the patient had a CT scan, blood and urine test done recently and they all came back normal. Also, the patient had an ultrasound done earlier today for which the results are still unknown. Never had a colonoscopy.
All symptoms started about 6 weeks ago, with another episode of diarrhea and chills about six months ago (which might or might not be related).
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 46 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

First of all I would like to tell you that there is no symptom which is specific for colon cancer. The symptoms are nonspecific, which means it can occur in may different conditions.

Also, the symptoms you have mentioned are non-specific and can occur in multiple conditions.

The possibilities in this patient include infectious proctocolitis, inflammatory bowel disease and colorectal cancer.

A stool test and a colonoscopy may be done for evaluation.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later
Would a blood test show any abnormalities if it was cancer? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 17 minutes later
There are certain tumor markers tests which can be done.
For colon cancer, CEA blood test can be done.
But again , it is not a diagnostic test and it is mainly used for follow up after treatment only.

I hope that answers your question.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini