Suffering from breathing problem, heart burn and blockage in stomach. What could it be?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in GERD
Question: Sir I Suffering from breathing problem & heart burn, when I take food then it occur. feeling like blockage in stomach upside,
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer...given below Detailed answer... Hello, Thanks for the query. Heart burn typically occurs when food contents and stomach acid go back in the  food pipe called as esophagus. This condition is called as GERD ( gastroeosophageal  reflux disease). Most people get this problem in their life but when it starts happening regularly,then it requires proper management. The risk of heart burn increases if you are consuming large meals,consuming lot of alcohol,obesity,hiatus hernia,lying down immediately after meals,consuming medicines like pain killers and steroids etc. Sometimes regurgitated acidic food may result in inflammation of esophagus resulting in esophagitis. Sometimes esophagitis may result in ulcer formations or even scar formation. What to do.. Stop using pain killers and steroids,if any Avoid alcohol and large fatty meals Avoid eating food immediately before lying down Keep the head end slightly raised during sleep Quit smoking  Reduce weight Take some proton pump inhibitor like PANTOPROZOLE 40 mg daily in morning on empty stomach for 6 weeks. You should be all right with this treatment but if you don't improve or your symptoms return after quitting the medicine,then you should consult a gastroenterologist for examination and investigations like ultrasound abdomen and upper GASTROSCOPY for diagnosing the problem. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 20 hours later
Thank u so much Sir, I Got That Tablet, from tomorrow onwards i will take that tablet, wen i eating some food than full of gas in side the stomach that gas not go out from mouth its return to stomach, inside gas release sound, feeling like full of stomach fill the gas inside, it occurs only when taking the food.
Hello, Along with the medicine and above mentioned precautions,do the following things also.. Take plenty of water. Do regular exercises like walking,yoga etc. Both these things would help in propulsion of food and relief from gas. Get back to me,if there is any thing else to ask. Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Thank u so much Sir, this is my last question what type of food to eat, drink, the tablets will take only in morning or twice a day,
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 6 minutes later
Hello, Tablet is to be taken once a day in the morning on empty stomach 45 minutes before your first meal in morning. As far as foods are concerned,avoid heavy fatty meals,alcohol,smoking etc. Take more of fresh fruits and green vegetables. It is always better to eat small portions of meal 4-5 times a day rather than 3 heavy meals a day. Don't eat to your full capacity. It is always better to eat small quantity at a time. Avoid junk foods like pizzas,burgers,colas etc. I hope it helps. Thanks