Owl Image

Suffering from abdominal pain after urination. What am I suffering from?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hi Doctor, my stomach hurts and it was in pain when i went to pee, it was in pain yesterday night and it still hurts today. Yesterday night my butt was hurting as well, really bad. I feel like i have to poop but the poop won't come out. This has happened multiple times to me before.
Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 1 hour later

Pain in abdomen after passing urine usually suggests urinary tract infection; but in that case pain is usually lower abdomen and you may have burning in urine or increased urinary frequency. Also it’s important to know if you have vaginal discharge which may indicate an associated pelvic inflammatory disease.

However your bowel symptoms are not explained by urinary tract infection as it is unlikely to cause constipation.

Sometimes severe constipation can cause pain in lower abdomen and inability to pass stools (it won't come out) apart from causing perianal pain (butt pain) related to fissures especially when hard stool is evacuated with force.
I would suggest you to try the following things:
1) Increase you water intake to 2-3 lit a day
2) Increase dietary fiber intake (salads/ fruits)
3) Exercise or do lot of physical activities
4) Can take fiber supplements available
5) 15 ml of liquid paraffin a day should help you to overcome constipation

In addition to the above measures, also get your urine examined for an infection. Thyroid disturbance (hypothyroidism) can be associated with habitual constipation. It might also be good if your doctors can get your thyroid profile checked since you are facing with repeated bowel problems.

Hope this answers your query. Please do reply in case of any further questions.

Wish you a speedy recovery...