Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Suffering from PCOD. Treatment? Will I be able to give birth?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Infertility Specialist
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 673 Questions
i think i am suffuring from pcod and i am really scared that will i will be able to give birth to a child or not . i wanted to ask u that is PCOD cureable or not and how should the treatment start.
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Conception is possible

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX
PCOS is a genetic entity. Like your height, complexion, color of eyes which are genetically determined & can't be changed but still you live with It, there is no need to find cure. You can lessen the harmful effects caused by PCOS by following simple steps:
1. Eat healthy high fibre adequate calorie diet, avoid eating excess fat & carbohydrates which are known to cause weight gain.
2. Do at least 30 minutes of sweat inducing exercise like skipping, swimming, jogging or cycling.
3. Your weight is in far much excess of height, you can join gym/any structured weight loss programme.
Regarding pregnancy, if your menstrual cycles are regular you need not worry.
If cycles are irregular, you can conceive with simple ovulation induction medicines. So getting pregnant should not be a big problem.
If you are trying for pregnancy, treatment should start by doing husband's semen analysis & if its normal It should follow ovulation induction medicines which are typically started from second day of your menses (day of starting menses is considered as first day).
PCOS & obese people are at high risk for diabetes, heart disease & uterine cancer. All those things can be avoided by simple weight reduction.

Let me know if you have other concerns.

Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from PCOD. Treatment? Will I be able to give birth? 11 minutes later
but i havent got my periods from more than 6 months and i am really scared can u suggest some medicine so that my mences are normal.
1 yr before i was getting treated for this and i was taking genette 35 , a-z & one more i dont remember the name . plz suggest some medicine and treat this problem i am really scared.
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Don't be scared.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Don't be scared as the adverse effects I described don't ocur at your age. Its just that you have to be careful to avoid them.
Regarding medicines for withdrawl bleeding (menses) we normally give medroxyprogesterone acetate 10mg twice daily for 5 days to PCOS patients. You can consult your physician for the same.
One important thing to prevent uterine cancer is to ensure that you have menses at least 4 times in a year with progesterone withdrawl.
If you are not trying for pregnancy right now, you can continue genette 35 for regularizing menses. If you are trying for pregnancy, better to consult infertility specialist.

Let me know if you have other concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from PCOD. Treatment? Will I be able to give birth? 2 hours later
Should i take this medicine for now to get my mense , till i visit a Dr. what r the chances of getting pregnent. will i be able to concive.?
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Good chance of conception if PCOS.

Detailed Answer:

The above listed medicine is a prescription only medicine; you need a prescription from a doctor to obtain this drug. Besides that, I always prefer my patients to consult a doctor before starting medicine.

Regarding chance for conception if you have PCOS (ultrasound showing polycystic ovaries), you have very good chance for conception by ovulation induction with medicines. Only important thing is, you need to take medicines for ovulation induction, because ovulation is not occurring on its own.

Let me know if you have other concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Infertility Spclst

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor