Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Suffered from a minor stroke. CT scan showed 7th brain nerve not functioning properly. What should I do?

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5574 Questions
My father suffered from a minor stroke on 15th Oct' 2012. Upon appearance of initial symptom i.e. his face got bent towards one side, immediate medical attention was given.

Local doctors carried out brain CT scan and found almost normal except his 7th brain nerve is not functioning properly. Though he is still under medications as prescribed by doctors, presently his left side of the face is paralyzed. And we noticed that his face is getting more and more bent with passage of time.

Kindly advice what we should do.
Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.

First of all, let me reassure you that your father is most likely not suffering from a brain stroke, but he has Bell's palsy.

In Bell's palsy, only the face gets paralysed, whereas in brain stroke, in addition to face, arm and/or leg also gets paralysed.

In Bell's palsy, treatment is with anti-viral medications, as the cause is thought to be a viral infection. In your father's case, he is getting anti-viral herpesafe 800 DT. In addition, vitamins are required for nerve recovery. He is getting remyelin for that.

Physiotherapy is also important. This includes facial exercises and galvanic stimulation. So, please consult a physiotherapist for the same.

With these measures, he would recover within a month.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffered from a minor stroke. CT scan showed 7th brain nerve not functioning properly. What should I do? 13 hours later
Thank you very much for your response.

We are planning to visit Apollo Hospitals, Delhi.

Grateful if you could kindly refer a relevant doctor in that hospital. Or else even if you can suggest whether we should seek appointment with neurologist or neuro-physiologist would suffice.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 26 minutes later
You can consult Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX a XXXXXXX and good Neurologist at Apollo Hospitals, Delhi. I know him well.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurologist)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor