Suddenly felt lightheaded, shaky, nausea and fast heartbeat. Is this the cause for concern?

Dr. Sundar Gnanavel

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: Today while I was at work it was about midday when all of a sudden my heart was beating very fast my hands and legs became very shaky I was lightheaded and had a wave of nausea. I wasn't doing anything different then normal. I had to sit down and take XXXXXXX breaths. I had something to eat after and felt a little better. No previous medical history.
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 44 minutes later
Hello.......
Thanks for your query. Based on your history-the various possibilities include hypoglycemic attack, hypotension (low blood pressure) or panic attack (an anxiety state). Considering that after food you felt better, my advise would be not to skip meals particularly breakfast. Panic attacks can also manifest this way though unless these attacks repeat themself i would not suggest you undergo a psychiatric evaluation. I suggest that you check your blood pressure on three consecutive days, check your blood glucose fasting and after food so that we get better clarity into your symptoms. There is nothing to worry. Wish you good health.
Dr Sundar
Neuro-psychiatrist