Sudden pain in upper thigh and upper arm. How to get relief?

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am 75 and have developed sudden pain in my upper thigh areas. The pain has spread a bit now to the upper arms. My movements are now quite restricted. Can you please advise
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 10 hours later

There are two likely causes which I can think in your case.Since there is pain in both thigh and arms possible cause can be either related to nerves or blood vessels.

If there is swelling,skin inflammation and soft tissue has become hard to touch then possibility of thrombosis of blood vessels needs to be ruled out.Atrial fibrillation patients are prone for such thromboembolic episodes.Even post cancer and cancer related treatments can predispose thrombosis.

Second cause can be related to nerves, that is neuropathy.In this case there wont be any swelling or inflammation.Only presenting symptom can be pain in the limbs with burning, tingling and numbness kind of symptoms to variable extent.Cancer treatments particularly chemotherapy can predispose neuropathy.

In either of the case, I would suggest you to bring this to notice of your doctor sooner.

Hope this answers your question.Please ask if there are doubts.

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 12 hours later
Dr XXXXXXX
Thanks for the reply
There are no symptoms of swelling,skin inflammation or hard soft tissue areas.
There is no pain when at rest, either sitting or sleeping.
The problem relates to movement in getting up, in and out of cars, trying to pick things up etc where there is significant pain in the upper legs and upper arms with some functions and obvious restriction of normal movement.

I have seen my doctor and awaiting Xray and ultrasound tests. If it is neuropathy related perhaps additional testing may be required. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 33 hours later
Did xray show anything? Did doctor suspect pinched nerve on examination?

Awaiting your reply.

Regards.