Stomach upset, arthritis, elevated antinuclear antibodies, nausea. Taking antiinflammatory medication

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Sat, 8 Sep 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: upset stomach and arthritisI've had elevated antinuclear antibodies, mild nausea, acid stomach, started antiinflamatory for arthritis but has done nothing for stomach. what's wrong with me.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Hello
Before answering your question I would be needing certain informations from you so that I am in a better position to advise you.
What is your age and whether you are male or female?
Since when you are suffering from arthritis and stomach problem?
Has your stomach problem started after you started taking anti inflammatories?
What exactly do you mean by stomach problem?
What are the current medications you are using?
Is there any other medical problem besides arthritis and acid stomach?
Do you take alcohol and do smoking?
Are you overweight?

Waiting for your reply.
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 34 minutes later
I am 45 yr old female 200 lbs, stomach troubles and arthrtis started April of this year. I didn't take more than advil. I do not smoke or drink. 2 months ago I went to a reumatolgist who took xrays and bloodwork but could only tell me I was inflamed, I suspect a virus, I have tried celebrex, and etodoloc but have stopped. I am not in as much pain as in the beginning. The arthritis is in the feet, hands, knees, and spine.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Hello
It seems you have developed gastritis due to use of anti inflammatory medicines.
Gastritis is the inflammation of inner lining of stomach and this results in production of more stomach acid.
Although your pain is much less now as you have stopped the medicines but you may take some proton pump inhibitor like PANTOPROZOLE 40 mg once a day in the morning empty stomach for 2 weeks.
You shall be totally alright with this treatment.
Best of luck
Thanks