Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Stomach cramps with constant diarrhea. All medical test normal. How to get cured?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1962
Answered : 693 Questions
I have had digestive problems for over a year and A half. The stomach cramps at times or bad but the constant diarrhea is the bigges problem. I have had all kinds of test done and nothing shows up so they are just treating it as irratable bowel. There is times I can even make it to the other bathroom. It is like water and is a dark brown it is also very slimy and has a strong odor. I have even been to a specialist and still no answers. Because of this my weight goes up and down and my potassium, Folic acid, vitanim D and ect drops below normal levels. I have even been put in the hospital because of my potassium being so low. They say its not chrones disease, I have nada colonostomy, liver test, had to swallows a camara which didn't stay in very long at all but they still can't find the problem. The problem occurs sometimes after I eat ( no matter what it is) and sometimes just out of the blue you never know for sure. It has been a life change for me because I feel I can't go any where because when it starts you have to find a restroom then and sometimes there is still not enough time. Please help! I am a 42 year old female and I have had my gallbladder removed because of this which didn't help. But I also had a bladder sling done at the same time the gallbladder was removed can it have something to do with it because it just continues to get worse.
Posted Sat, 16 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 3 hours later
Sorry to hear that you are having these many prblems at your
young age. You tell us that all the blood tests, colonoscopy and
probably capsule endoscopy results were normal.I am assuming
that your blood tests included Celiac disease tests as well .
They may have also ruled out auto-immune disorders by doing
special tests. Other thing I would want to know, if they did any
biopsy of the colon lining when they did the colonoscopy. Even
if the lining looked normal , there is a condition called
"Microscopic Colitis" which can result in chronic diarrhea.
You probably have tried lactose free diet also to see if you
have lactose intolerance.
I am not sure how long ago you had your gallbladder surgery.
There are cases when a person develops diarrhea due to
bile salt irritation of the colon lining after the gallbladder is
removed. This is due to the fact, bile comes into the intestine
directly instead of being released by the gallbladder periodically
during digestive process. In such cases, we use a resin binding
drug called Cholestyramine in powder form three or four times
a day to bind the bile salts and prevent irritation.
The other thing I noted, you are taking Zoloft. One of the side
effects is diarrhea. I would look into it as well.
You don't mention any bulking agents such as metamucil or
effersyllium supplements. These would help to harden the stool.
These are some of my thoughts and suggestions.
I wish you well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Stomach cramps with constant diarrhea. All medical test normal. How to get cured? 16 hours later
Is there anyway I can have my doctor send you the test results and what test they have done to make sure we have all the bases covered. We have done constant blood work nothing shows and I am not sure about the biopsy or whether or not they checked for Celiac disease. My XXXXXXX doctor tried me on Whelcol 3 times a day he said it is usually used for high chlorolestrol but it also causes constipation. Nothing has worked. My gallbladder surgery was in Dec. of 2010 and I was already taken Zoloft way before I started having problems with this. It first start with the cramping diarrhea, and vomiting that is why even though the gallbladder test didn't show anything wrong I went ahead and had it removed because I had lost 10lbs in a weeks time and had to be admitted in the hospital. Nothing they tried worked. So if there is anything I can send to you to help figure this out I am more than willing. I have lost my job that I ha been at for 10 years because of all these health problems and being in and out of the hospital. I am still unemployed and having to cobra my insurance , which is up in or around April of this year. I really need help. It's worse around my cycle time also. It's hard to live like this and I have 3 children who don't understand why mama is always sick. So any help would be greatly appreciated. I will get what paper work you need from the doctor or give you their phone number if you need it I just need answers and they or at a lost here in my town. Please help! I want my life back!
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 6 hours later
Sorry to hear about your insurance situation.
I think the only way you can send test results will
be to ask your doctor to send the results to
Healthcaremagic customer service and the moderator
will let me know when he has them and I can comment.
I will have to work through them, not directly.
It is very important that you have been tested for Celiac.
Ask the doctor about the colon biopsy also.
Wish you well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor