Stiff face with swollen gland below ear jaw and metallic taste. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Geoffrey Ward

Dentist

Posted on Tue, 22 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: My glands under my ear and and along jaw line suddenly swelled up and I could feel the swelling happen and my face jaw became stiff. When I looked in the mirror my face was distorted in shape. But it suddenly disappeared but I am left with a metalic taste in my mouth on that side. Is it something to be concerned about?
Answered by Dr. Geoffrey Ward 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for your question.
Yes this is something to be concerned about. It sounds like you have a tooth abscess forming and can lead to a space infection. Space infections are when the bacteria get between the muscles and forms the abscess there. This can lead to life threatening illnesses.

If you are having swelling, lymphadenopathy and metallic taste in your mouth, these are good indications you have a tooth that needs to have a root canal, extraction, an incision and drainage or a combination of the said mentioned.

I strongly encourage you to immediately make an appointment with a dentist for thurough evaluation and have this treated ASAP.

I hope this helps you and if you have any further questions, feel free to message me back, I am here to help.

Best Regards

Dr. Ward