Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Started vomiting suddenly. Having chest and nasal sinuses painful. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2547 Questions
Last night while I was out to dinner with my husband and another couple, we were eating at the table and enjoying a few drinks... we were laughing about something and all of a sudden completely out if the blue I started to uncontrollably vomit out of my nose. I have never experienced this and I am wondering why I began to vomit? I was not feeling ill or showing any signs of illness. Today my chest and nasal sinuses are painful. Do you have any answers as to what happened? Thank you
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. A one off incident of nasal regurgitation while suddenly laughing with food in the mouth is possible without any disease.

2. The delicate nasal and sinus mucosa (lining) is probably exposed to the food stuff, and should settle down. You may get a nasal endoscopy done to check whether any food particles are stuck in the nose.

3. You may get an examination done, especially if this happens again or you have any additional symptom such as a hyper nasal voice, change in voice, difficulty in swallowing (dysphagia), slurring of speech, cough, choking on food, dribbling of saliva and so on.

4. The chest discomfort may be due to the vomiting or aspiration of food or secretions into the lungs.

5. Your doctor may check your Cranial Nerve Functions including the gag reflex, palatal and tongue movements and so on. A Neurologist's opinion may be required to rule out any degenerative neural condition.

6. Do you have any recent history of a viral infection?

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor