Started feeling lightheaded and dizzy after taking cipralex 5mg. Is this normal?

Dr. Ashish Mittal

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Mental Health
Question: Hi There,

I recently started taking cipralex at a 5mg dose. I have been feeling a bit lightheaded and dizzy since starting. Is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 11 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Cipralex contain escitalopram. It belong to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) class of medicines. It is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder.

It is one of the most safe anti anxiety medication.

Most Common side effects of cipralex:
-Nausea, dry mouth, trouble sleeping, constipation, tiredness, drowsiness, dizziness, or increased sweating may occur.

These side effects appear frequently at start of treatment and during increasing dose of medicine.

So your current symptoms (feeling a bit lightheaded and dizzy) are the side effects of cipralex which is very common at the initiation of treatment. The common strategy to deal with this side effect is.........wait for few days and continue medicine, as these side effects are self limiting and stop after few days. Apart from that take healthy diet and do some relaxation exercise (breathing exercise and yoga) to overcome these side effects early.

If any of these effects persist or worsen or affect your personal/social/occupational life, tell your doctor. Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal