Sperm analysis done. What does this mean in terms of fertility?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Infertility Problem
Question: Hi My Husbands Sperm tests are as follows
Duration or sexual abstinence - Above range 7.0 (2.0-4.0)
Volume -4.0 mL (>=2)
Liquefaction, viscosity and appearance -normal
Total Sperm Count- 414.08 10^6 (>=39) - Motility
Percent rapid progressive sperm-53% (>=25)
Percent slow progressive sperm- below range 1.0% (A+B>50) (>=35)
Percent non-progressive sperm 1.0%

Please could you let me know what this means in terms of fertility Thank you
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Semen analysis is an important part of assessment of fertility however it is important to remember that it only provides a general idea of male fertility because there are men with abnormal results who have no problem conceiving and 30% of men with normal results may have abnormal function.

In terms of your husbands results:
(1) the volume of semen is good, the volume is considered normal if it is greater than 2 ml
(2) total sperm count- this is considered normal if it is greater than 20 million, your husband's count exceeds this
(3) motility- at least 50% of the sperm should demonstrate normal forward movement, this was also normal for your husband because 53% were rapidly progressive and only 1% non progressive, implying most were progressive

Based on these results your husbands sperm are normal.
Most semen analysis would also include assessment of morphology of the sperm (whether they look normal or have abnormal shapes) and assess for the presence of infection.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions