Sore throat, black tongue and blood with mucus. What is causing this?

Dr. Kulbir Singh

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I woke up with a sore throat and noticed the back of my tongue has turned a little brown/black I also coughed up a little blood with the mucus.
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 4 hours later
Hello and thanks for writing in
Black tongue and blood with mucus can be due the high dose of caffeine but we need to prove it by some investigation like endoscopy. The blood which comes can be from lungs or stomach. More possibility is that it is from stomach the reason is the drug caffeine. The blood from the lungs can only come if you have prolonged cough. I do not think you have cough.

In my opinion you need to get your endoscopy done to find out the origin of the bleeding and according treatment can be planned. In addition to this take H2-receptors like Ranitidine or PPI inhibitors like pantoprazole by consulting your doctor. Take liquid diet which is easy to digest if you have no stomach pain. Also check for stool color.

If blood came more frequently than you must go to the ER immediately and get treated.
Hope this will help you. Write back for any follow up query.
Best Wishes and get well soon.
Dr. Kulbir Singh