Sore red throat and post nasal drip after oral sex. Could this be an STD?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: My husband and I have been separated for several months but recently got together and had oral sex. I'm not sure of his sexual history since weve been separated and now I have a sore red throat and post nasal drip. Could this be an std?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

It is difficult to conclude at this early stage that your symptoms are secondary to STD. The symptoms of HPV infection or syphilis, etc starts with high grade fever, swollen and tender glands, ulcers in the mouth and genital areas, warts, etc.

Initially, this should be treated as a normal Meanwhile, try the following home remedies:
1. Drink plenty of warm water – this helps in improving the blood circulation, keeping the mucosa moist and relief from pain
2. Anti-inflammatory medicines such as diclofenac or ibuprofen for the pain relief.
3. Use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 3-4 times a day.
4. Also, avoid smoking/chilled food & beverages/alcohol/coffee till you recover.
5. If the symptoms do not improve within 3-4 days you can start on antibiotic (such as a combination of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid or cefuroxime) after consulting your doctor. Also, you can request for a throat swab during your visit.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon