Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Soft movable lump on ribcage. Doctor has said it is a fat deposit. Suggest a treatment to get rid of the lump?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 2202 Questions
Just last week i noticed a soft movable lump on the bottom part of left ribcage.Its very small,may be 1cm in diameter.Its not painful.I go to gym regularly.My height is 5'8 and weight is 85(slightly overweight).I am doing crunches these days.I got really petrified as these days people can get cancer at an early age too.I have consulted a local physician in Delhi (India)and he say this is nothing but a fat deposit and said there is no need to worry.What can that lump be?What should i do next to pacify my fear?How will these lump vanishes?Shall i conduct any test?
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is Lipoma.Get it removed

Detailed Answer:
As per your query,it looks like Lipoma,fat deposit.
There are no medicines to dissolve it.
You get it removed by General surgeon and send it for Histopathological examination.It will confirm the diagnosis.
Most of the cancerous swellings are big,hard and are not mobile.So,do not worry.
Get it removed under local anaesthesia.There is no need for admission.
If you come back with Biopsy report,i will clarify further.
Wish you good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Soft movable lump on ribcage. Doctor has said it is a fat deposit. Suggest a treatment to get rid of the lump? 9 minutes later
Thank You for the speedy reply.
How to do the Biopsy and from where one can do that(like any specific doctor does it). If i do not get it removed, will it cause any problem in future. Or shall i wait to see if it get dissolves gradually.

As you mentioned cancerous swellings are big and not mobile. Can this Lipoma be a threat and become cancerous one in future.

Shall i also conduct full body scan or what age one should conduct full body scan. I do not have a history of cancer in my family.I am really terrified when word cancer comes.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it is not cancer

Detailed Answer:
A small cut is given over the swelling and whole swelling is removed and sent for biopsy.
It is done by General surgeon.
It does not dissolve.
Sometimes,it can increase in size and can become cancerous.Then it is called liposarcoma.
Get it removed and become free from the disease.
No need for any scan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor