question-icon

Smoker. Will nicotine patches or nicotine gums help to quit smoking?

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013
Question: I smoke about 15 cigarettes a day. I have tried to quit several times without success.Are nicotine patches or nicotine gums advisable.
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel (13 minutes later)
Hello XXXXXXX .....
I appreciate your effort to quit smoking. As you rightly mentioned nicotine gums, what we refer to as "nicotine replacement therapy" are beneficial in quitting smoking. They act by reducing your craving for cigarettes. You would require around a maximum of five-six 2 mg nicotine chewing gums per day which we would advise to continue for 3 months. Thereafter, you can gradually taper off the number of chewing gums over next 2 weeks. I would suggest you undertake "relapse prevention sessions" with your psychologist/psychiatrist thereafter to prevent yourself from re-initiating smoking once you quit. Hope you found the information useful. You are welcome to clarify any further queries.
Dr Sundar G
Psychiatrist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Dr. Sundar Gnanavel

Psychiatrist