Smoker. Will nicotine patches or nicotine gums help to quit smoking?
Thanks for writing to us.
I appreciate your effort to quit smoking. As you rightly mentioned nicotine gums, what we refer to as "nicotine replacement therapy" are beneficial in quitting smoking. They act by reducing your craving for cigarettes. You would require around a maximum of five-six 2 mg nicotine chewing gums per day which we would advise to continue for 3 months. Thereafter, you can gradually taper off the number of chewing gums over next 2 weeks. I would suggest you undertake "relapse prevention sessions" with your psychologist/psychiatrist thereafter to prevent yourself from re-initiating smoking once you quit. Hope you found the information useful. You are welcome to clarify any further queries.
Dr Sundar G
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Smoking marijuana and nicotine gum
- Quit smoking gums metallic taste
- Quitting smoking with nicotine gum
- Is there any gum to quit smoking
- Nicotine patch bleeding gums
- Nicotine inhalers to quit smoking
- How useful are nicotine gums to quit smoking
- Trying to quit smoking side effects of nicotine patches
- Free nicotine patches or gum
- Quit smoking sore gums