Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Smoker. Will nicotine patches or nicotine gums help to quit smoking?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 632 Questions
I smoke about 15 cigarettes a day. I have tried to quit several times without success.Are nicotine patches or nicotine gums advisable.
Posted Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 13 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX .....
Thanks for writing to us.
I appreciate your effort to quit smoking. As you rightly mentioned nicotine gums, what we refer to as "nicotine replacement therapy" are beneficial in quitting smoking. They act by reducing your craving for cigarettes. You would require around a maximum of five-six 2 mg nicotine chewing gums per day which we would advise to continue for 3 months. Thereafter, you can gradually taper off the number of chewing gums over next 2 weeks. I would suggest you undertake "relapse prevention sessions" with your psychologist/psychiatrist thereafter to prevent yourself from re-initiating smoking once you quit. Hope you found the information useful. You are welcome to clarify any further queries.
Dr Sundar G
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Addiction Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor