Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

128 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Smoker. Suffering from hypertension and have high blood pressure. How to control this level?

Answered by
Dr. Sourav Ganguly

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2007

Answered : 442 Questions

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: i suffer from hypertension . my age is 42 years and i weigh 71 kg. my heoght is 5ft 5 inches. my BP most of the time is around 150/100. What should i do to bring it down to normal and sustain. I have hypothyriodism for which i take eltrxin 11mcg daily. I take Aztor 10 for my Cholestorol. i smoke around 6-7 Cigarettes evrday
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later
Thanks for your query.

You have hypertension and in your age group most of the hypertension is secondary that means hypertension without any obvious cause.

You have also hypothyroid and dyslipidemia. All these predispose you towards heart disease.

Follow the advice strictly to bring down your pressure in normal level

1.     Salt restricted diet.
2.     Avoid spicy, oily, junk foods
3.     Regular free hand exercise, pranayama and yoga to control your weight.
4.     Have to take an anti hypertensive like amlodipine or any ACE inhibitor or beta blocker group of drugs after a cardiologist consultation.
5.     Do fasting blood sugars check as most of the cases dyslipidemia, hypertension and diabetes are present in the same patients .

Consult your physician or a cardiologist. Test to be done and proper anti hypertensive in proper doses should be taken. I hope you will be all right within a month.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and write a review.

Best Wishes,
Dr Sourav Ganguly

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  Amlodipine

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am taking Bystolic and amlodipine for hight blood pressure and synthroid for Hyshimotos Throiditus and my skin has become so thin that my arms are so brused that it looks like someone is mistreating me. (No one is). I bruse at the slightest touch and if just slightly scraped I bleed like a stuck pig. Could some of this be caused by one of my medications?

doctor1 MD

i m on 10mg amlodipine, 5mg bisoprolol and 10mg ramipril. Since last friday (13th) I woke up with a painful right foot. The only thing to change recently was the addition of ramipril, I havent taken it since thursday, should I continue or stop? Any idea what this is and will it pass?

doctor1 MD

I have problem with staying hard while having sex. I take the following meds. Is there any medication that i would be able to take for this problem.

thAMLODIPINE BESYLATE-BENAZEPRIL 10MG-20MG Hypertension (morning 1x)

TEVETEN HCT 600-12.5MG Hypertension (night 1x)

Lexapro Tabs 10MG (morning half)

Lunesta Tabs 3MG Sleep (night 1x)

LANSOPRAZOLE 30 MG Stomach (morning 1x)

ere any medication that i would be able to take for this problem.

doctor1 MD

DEAR :I am a man 39 old - smoking 1 pocket daily - non alkohol -

I have hypertension since 6 year 17/11 . from Two years ago I started using drugs amlodipine 5mg but it side effect gynecomastia so I had to stop it and then used candesartan 16 mg, but in a recent study it is possible to cause cancer so i stoped it.then i take ramipril but it make me very weakness and it does not low my pressure . now i use coreg 6.25 but i have acid uric stones and it arise acid uric and formed new stone . my question is what proper drug can i take for hypertension with this story


doctor1 MD

i have high blood pressure and have been taking Edarbyclor for a number of years. Recently my blood pressure has elevated from 130's over 80 to 175 over 70. I have changed doctors because of moving to a new location and he has changed my...

doctor1 MD

I am taking Amlodipine 5 MG, Clonidine 0.1 MG, Lisinop/HCTZ 20-25 M, and Bystolic 10 MG. I have ran out of my Bystolic and will get them tomorrow. My question is can I take the rest of of high blood pressure meds today with my Bystolic? Thank You!...

doctor1 MD

i feel un easyness and my B P doesn't come in control but when i start walking it start going down .two week before i was using only 2.5 stamilo one time now 5 mg stamilo two times not working. my doctor increase this dose but i am not feeling...