Smoker. Suffering from hypertension and have high blood pressure. How to control this level?

Dr. Sourav Ganguly

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: i suffer from hypertension . my age is 42 years and i weigh 71 kg. my heoght is 5ft 5 inches. my BP most of the time is around 150/100. What should i do to bring it down to normal and sustain. I have hypothyriodism for which i take eltrxin 11mcg daily. I take Aztor 10 for my Cholestorol. i smoke around 6-7 Cigarettes evrday
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later

You have hypertension and in your age group most of the hypertension is secondary that means hypertension without any obvious cause.

You have also hypothyroid and dyslipidemia. All these predispose you towards heart disease.

Follow the advice strictly to bring down your pressure in normal level

1.     Salt restricted diet.
2.     Avoid spicy, oily, junk foods
3.     Regular free hand exercise, pranayama and yoga to control your weight.
4.     Have to take an anti hypertensive like amlodipine or any ACE inhibitor or beta blocker group of drugs after a cardiologist consultation.
5.     Do fasting blood sugars check as most of the cases dyslipidemia, hypertension and diabetes are present in the same patients .

Consult your physician or a cardiologist. Test to be done and proper anti hypertensive in proper doses should be taken. I hope you will be all right within a month.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and write a review.

Best Wishes,
Dr Sourav Ganguly

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E