Smoked marijuana cigarette. How long it takes to get out of system?

Dr. Ganesh Sanap

Radiologist

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Drug Abuse
Question: I smoked a marijuana cigarette in a matter of 5 days, only one or two puffs a day, how long will it take for me to get it out of my system?, I hadn't smoked fo a year before that. Will it take longer if the test is conducted with a gas chramatotograph? Is there anything I can do to speed the process of eliminating the toxin (legally and safely)? I am 5'9 , weigh160 lbs.
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 29 minutes later
Hi, XXXXXXX and Thanks for writing in.

Marijuana or cannabinoids are lipophilic (fat soluble) compounds that easily store in fat, thus yielding a long elimination half-life relative to other recreational drugs. Its molecule, and related compounds, are usually detectable in drug tests from 3 days up to 10 days; heavy users can produce positive tests for up to 10 months after ceasing cannabis use. The length of time varies greatly according to metabolism, quantity, and frequency of use.
As you had taken very small quantity of drug and also no intake for long duration, there is less chance that it will be detected in tests. If level in blood is above 50 microgram/ml then it can be detected by gas chromatography. It is very repidly metabolise from blood so blood test are quite insufficient to diagnose low level .
It will difficult to tell exact blood level on your history. There is no specific way to speed up the elimination process.

Hope i have answered your query. If you have any concern please let me know.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ganesh Sanap 2 hours later
So is it possible for someone to be able pass a pre employment drug test if they abstain for 3 weeks before the test?Not a blood test, urine test...
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 6 hours later

It may be possible to pass urine test it you had consumed a small dose, as I said in my earlier reply.

Drink adequate water to maintain hydration. However, do not over hydrate yourself.

Thanking you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Ganesh Sanap 1 hour later
About how long would it take for me to be more certain. I dont want to fail. I have been waiting for this opportunity for two years an they just call me yesterday. I feel terrible and regretful...
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 25 minutes later

You need to wait for at least 4 weeks, if possible. Otherwise, you can go for it. There are maximum chances that you will pass the test.

Regards.