Smoked marijuana. Started feeling anxiety, muscle stiffness and loss of balance. Parkinson's disease?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello Doctor,

I am going to be 100% honest here.
In the months of Aug and Sept. I have smoked marijuana more than I have ever in my life.

Well, now it's November.

I have noticed the following symptoms.

-Anxiety Problems.
-Muscle Stiffness in Right Arm, neck and upper back.
-I feel what it seems like jolts going through my body especially arms and feet.
-Sometimes sweety palms.
-Sometimes shaky right hand or fingers in my hand.
-Sometimes I shake my left leg constantly.
-I do lose balance just every once in awhile. Not too much though.

I do know that marijuana does something with dopamine.

Is this all due to Anxiety?
Or could I be developing something life Parkinson's?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 54 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Marijuana does have effects on brain functions, including motor, behavioural and mental functions.

The symptoms can include slowness of movements, tremors, shakiness, anxiety etc. However, these symptoms are reversible, and that is a very reassuring information.

Part of your symptoms could also be related to anxiety.

You do not have symptoms of parkinson's disease.

As of now, small dose of clonazepam may be useful. Please discuss with your doctor regarding this.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Hi Doctor,

So it's possible for these symptoms to last 1.5 months after I have used Marijuana?
The doctor did put me on Xantax. That seemed to help.

I guess I am somewhat surprised that I still can have these symptoms 1.5 months after usage.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 15 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

The effects of Marijuana may be seen even up to three months after consumption. This is because it is stored in body fat tissues, increasing the half life and elimination periods.

Moreover, it can even produce positive results at three months. This is more so in people who have had heavy consumption, as in your case.

Xantax (alprazolam) and clonazepam are useful in your condition.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Hi Doctor,

My THC test showed up as negative.
Also, the biggest thing that I seem to have now is the ability to not sleep.
The doctor adjusted my Xanax to be a different prescription because he said the other prescription was more addictive. This new prescription doesn't seem to work for my sleep issues.

Also, when I asked about parkinson's.
I just wanted to know, could these symptoms be the "start" of it?

Thanks for your help.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 37 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

Parkinson's disease (PD) usually does not occur in people below 40 years of age.
Moreover, it is a progressive disease with worsening of symptoms over time.

The hallmarks of PD include tremors of hands & feet, slowness of all movements, stiffness of limbs and postural imbalance. So, based on your age and symptoms, I feel you don't have PD at present.

Regarding anxiety and sleep medications, I agree with your doctor's advice.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)