Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Small child suffering from itch in penis, dark grey spots on shaft, near the tip, uncircumcised. Treatment for itching?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
My son who is five year old was complaining of itching in his penis. Now upon careful examination I am finding a dark grey spot on the shaft of penis (Very near to the tip). I am worried. He has an uncircumcised penis
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 25 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
Your son could be having symptoms of a fungal infection which are itching redness or greyish/whitish patch on the genitalia and occasionally whitish discharge.
But there is always a possibility of superadded bacterial infection which can only be confirmed by thorough physical examination by his pediatrician/dermatologist and if necessary certain tests like woods lamp examination of the spot to confirm fungal infection or occasionally a urine routine test and complete blood counts to rule out bacterial infection.
Alternatively the doctor may start a particular treatment like topical (local) antifungal ointments and dusting powder containing ketoconazole on the basis of probable clinical diagnosis and watch for response before doing any tests.Sometimes itching may require oral antihistamines like cetrizine or chlorpheniramine as per your doctors advise.
So I would advise you consult his pediatrician/skin specialist i.e. dermatologist for confirming diagnosis and starting appropriate treatment.
Please do not panic as this may occur in children due to inadequate genital hygiene and warm
moist conditions.It will resolve with treatment.
Try to keep the area clean and dry and open whenever feasible.
Hope I have answered your query.
Please accept the answer in case you have no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor