Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Slipped and fell in the toilet, hurting buttocks, lower backache. Should doctor be consulted?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
Hi ,I fell hard on my butt two day ago when I slipped and fell on the toilet floor .my butt still hurts and I have lower backaches.should I consult the doctor and what should I do next ?
Posted Sat, 30 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 32 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.

From your symptoms, it looks like I suggest you to apply warm compresses on your buttocks and take some prescription from your doctor. You can take anti inflammatory pain killers like Diclofenac or Ibuprofen. Alsop apply topical muscle relaxants on the area.

You can also follow certain lifestyle measures which can help you with this pain. Avoid sitting down for long periods of time especially on hard surfaces. If you have to sit down on a stool or bench, then use a "doughnut" cushion or pillow to sit on which has a hole in the middle of it to prevent the buttocks from contacting the flat surface. Also try to avoid direct weight on the hips and eat a diet XXXXXXX in fiber to avoid any constipation which may aggravate the pain.

If the pain persists then get a CT scan of the area done which is one of the better investigations for detecting any injury to the coccyx.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor