Slight headache and nosebleed with dizziness. Looking for treatment

Dr. Samik Basu

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: I have a 16 year old daughter with a slight headache and nosebleed with dizziness afterwards she has not had a history of nose bleeds last year they started she has 2 at school not lasting long and one over the summer and now she has one tonight she was not being active she was just sitting on the couch she thought her nose was running and already had a slight headache and then the nose bleed only lasted for about 2 or 3 min. and she said she felt a little dizzy afterwards and when she stands up even now she feels dizzy. she is the youngest of 4 children and none of them has had a history of nosebleeds before this
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 19 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

Nose bleeds are common in children specially in the winter after nose pricks. It is usually self limiting as in your daughter's case. It is not a concerning problem.

If you could check her blood pressure then it would be fantastic.
Please come back to me if
1) She is hypertensive
2) Has bleeding from other sites and skin
3) Has excessive bleeding during her periods.
4) Develops other symptoms.

Ask her not to finger her nose. Give her some paracetamol and put her to rest.

Hope this answers your query. You are free to ask any question related to this.

Wishing your child a speedy recovery...
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad