Slight headache after head injury, no swelling appeared. Getting pain in jaw and arms. Concerned

Dr. Kulbir Singh

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Head Injuries
Question: My 10 year old son bumped heads with another 10 yr. old boy on the bus yesterday afternoon. No goose egg formed and no sign of swelling when I saw him at 5: 30 pm. He complained last night of a slight head ache. This morning he didn't say anything about his head; instead, he said his jaw hurt and his left arm. His arm feels "like he did a bunch of push ups, all down it XXXXXXX He ate breakfast and seemed to be functioning fine. I'm still concerned. The symptoms are odd for a young boy.
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for writing in
I have read your query with diligence. It does not seem that your child has any type of head injury. Head injury needs a immediate medical attention if any of the following symptoms occur:
1. Loss of consciousnesses or drowsiness after injury.
2. Presence of Ear, nose or throat bleeding.     
3. Vomiting after the injury.
4. Abnormal response of pupils to light
5. External swelling with fever.

I do not think your son has any of the above symptoms. As per the pain in arm is concern it can be due to muscular spasm, that may be occurred during the collision. Other reason can be a slight sprain to the cervical spine. The pain of cervical can radiate to the arms.

To get rid from the pain, do hot fermentation at the site. Apply local anti-inflammatory gel and take analgesic and anti-inflammatory drug like Ibuprofen.
In addition to this take complete rest till the pain subsides. Feel free to consult your doctor if pain persists for more than 2 days.

Write back for any further query.

Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh