Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Showed mild focal scarring upper right lobe. Had CT scan for ongoing infections. Suggest

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 93 Questions
had a ct of lungs. showed mild focal scarring upper right lobe. had another scan 2 years later. said it was unchanged. should i be worried about this being progressive? i have not ever had pneumonia. had ct originally for ongoing infections. dad died of pulmonary fibrosis. i dont smoke.
Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Rene Gerard Cruz Galera Jr 1 hour later

Thank you for your question and welcome to our site.

This scar has nothing to do with pneumonia, smoking, nor pulmonary fibrosis. It is commonly due to a primary complex that you may have obtained when you were still a child/teenager. You may have been exposed to someone who was infected with TB then. These are old infections with TB that have been defeated by your immune system way back in the past but have left calcified scars in your right lung apex. These, unfortunately, are permanent scars but you have nothing to worry about them being progressive especially if the repeat scan confirmed that nothing changed.

So please, do not worry about them. You may ask your physician if he/she still wants to monitor it through scheduled chest X-rays or another repeat CT but this will just increase (albeit minimally) your exposure to the x-ray's radiation.

Do continue living a healthy lifestyle - eat a healthy balanced diet, exercise and practice good hygiene! These, together with not smoking, will really help you in the long run in preventing chronic diseases.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you have further queries, please do not hesitate to ask them. Otherwise, you may opt to close this thread and rate the answer.

You know how to reach me if you have any concerns. Take care!

Dr. Galera
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor