question-icon

Should I be concerned with hiv infection after unprotected intercourse?

Posted on Wed, 14 Nov 2012
Question: Should you be concerned with hiv infection from a onetime vaginal exposure unprotected with a 16 year old lower income class Caucasian female, even if you never caught any other std from that exposure, in Alberta Canada?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga (3 hours later)
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Regarding your question of HIV risk there is no way to determine risk from a single exposure. Your risk can only be determined based on the sexual history of your partner. If your partner has a history of drug use this is also something that you should be concerned about.

If you'reseriously concerned about your level of risk you should have a discussion with your partner. If you're not able to complete this type of discussion you should have complete sexually transmitted disease testing.

Thanks again for sending your question.

Dr. Robert
Follow up: Dr. Robert Galamaga (1 hour later)
K thanks, if no injection drug use, and only 3-4 partners that she had, is risk level low ?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga (11 hours later)
Hello and thank you for your additional question.

From the additional information you have provided I would regard to risk as relatively low but it is definitely not zero. If you want 100% guarantee that you have not contracted a certain infection you need to have testing performed.

Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist