Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Should I be concerned about red colored stool, stomach pain when blood test negative and have IBS?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 2220 Questions
Hello - I had partial red colored stool yesterday when I was experiencing stomach pain. I did an an EZ detect test to see if it was blood but it came back negative. The pain just lasted for a day. I suffer from IBS. Is this concerning?
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 5 hours later
Brief Answer: it is not concerning now Detailed Answer: Hi I am happy to know that your blood test results are negative; it does mean that you have ruled out serious health issues. The stools may be red colored if you have used certain food like: Red food coloring, beets, cranberries, tomato juice or soup, red gelatin or drink mixes. Concerning your stomach pain, it may be from bowel contractions as you are suffering from IBS or stomach flu. You don't need any treatment if you are ok now. There is no reason to worry about. About your IBS, I would recommend changing your lifestyle like - using plenty of water, foods reach in fibers like vegetables and fruits, -avoid spicy foods, caffeine, alcohol, smoking, fast foods -avoid unnecessary stress. If you have other concerns, please feel free and write back to me. Wishing you health Dr.Klerida
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Should I be concerned about red colored stool, stomach pain when blood test negative and have IBS? 8 hours later
Thank you - So you are comfortable with the results of the EZ Detect test? Meaning you feel it is accurate?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 4 hours later
Brief Answer: EZ Detect test accurate,no concern for now.. Detailed Answer: Hi again, Thank you for writing back. The EZ Detect test is approved by FDA for its accuracy. So, for the moment, there is nothing serious to be worried about. I repeat again that it was only an episode. If it would be repeated in the future, then, must consult GI specialist. Wish you health! Dr.Klerida If you are satisfied with my answer, please close this thread and kindly rate my answer. Thank you!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor