Is dark stool an indication for blood in stool?

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Just this Monday the 23rd of Dec I had an endocospy, on the directions for aftercare they said if I have blood in my stool I should go to EM. Only had a bowel movement this morning, Wed. this is the lst bowel movement since Sunday morning and my stool was very dark. is this an indication of blood in the stool and what should I do. otherwise I'm feeling fine, eating well, did an hour of exercise including treadmill, eating very light. I'm worried if the stool is nearly black that it indicates blood in the stool, and is this urgent, could I bleed out somehow. should I wait until my next bowel movement. thanks
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hello Detailed Answer: Dark colored stools may present altered blood in stools from upper gastrointestinal tract. But sometimes medications, food products or foodpreservatives can cause dark color ed stools. So you can wait for next bowel movement and if it is dark then see doctor for this doctor would investigate if there is bleed , site and cause of bleed. Treatment will depend on the cause of bleed. hope this helps. Please ask if there are doubts. Regards
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 3 hours later
Yes there is doubt. I wouldn't have worried except the aftercare sheet says to go to the emergency if after the endospocy I have blood in my stool and seeing it so dark, that's what I figure might be going on. I don't take any medictions and there has been no foods that I've eaten in the days following the endoscopy that would darken the stool. could there be some bleeding because of the biosopys he took from the stomach that has caused this? if there is bleeding from doing the endosocpy coming from my stomach, can it get worse overnight, is there anything I can eat to sooth the stomach if something serious is going on and could it stop it. I eat a lot of good yougurt with the good bacteria. I guess my question is, will I be okay until tomorrow with this and then if no change I can to to emergency.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Hello Detailed Answer: Major stomach bleed generally lead to hematemesis , that is blood in vomits. Since there nothing like that and also there are no symptoms we can assume the bleed is not severe. So you can wait for a day.but do keep watch on symptoms. You non spicy rice preparation,curd, fruits like banana, ice creams. Avoid smoking , alcohol and spicy food. Do see your doctor. Hope this helps. Please ask if there are doubts. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 8 hours later
thank you so much, just had a bowel movement and it's normal, so this must have been a bit of something he did while the light was in my stomach. thanks for reassuring me. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: You are welcome. Detailed Answer: It was pleasure assisting you. Do keep watch for few days. Please take out time to write a review about me and this website. Best wishes.