Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Should I ask for C-section or vaginal delivery? Back pain due to spondylitis of lower spine.

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
My daughter is 37 weeks pregnant and I just remembered that she was diagnosed with spongelylosis of the lower spine after a gymnastic injury. The Dr. said the spine was not fractured but he saw a birth defect where the end of her spine was not closed and had exposed nerves. He said it could cause problems during labor and delivery.
Should she ask for a c-section or try to have a vaginal delivery?? Her back hurts all the time. The baby is now head down but laying on her spine instead of facing it. XXXXXXX has a low tolerance for pain and passes out easily ? She asked me to go with her to her OBGYN today to tell her what I remembered about the diagnosis. What do you suggest???
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Child Birth
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Symptomatic lower spine problems like spondylosis or arthritis may be an indication for elective caesarian section to prevent maternal discomfort and complications in descent of fetus and progress of labor. Occasionally the stress of labor may cause worsening of spinal pain and pathology.

Though there are no fetal indications or contraindications for a trial of labor, maternal anxiety and lower back pain may pose problems of maternal exhaustion and non progress during labor.

Considering her case her gynecologist might offer her an option of elective caesarian section which would be the safe option for both mother and baby in such a case.

Hope I have answered your query.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor