Sharp pain in crease of arm. What could be causing this?

Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have had pain in the crease of my left arm for about 3 weeks now and it's getting worse.. It's now throbbing and it's hard to open my arm..any ideas on what it could be?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

If I have understood correctly the pain is in the crease of your left elbow joint. I would appreciate your response to:
1. Is the pain continuous or does it come and go?
2. Is there any swelling at the site?
3. Any relief by medicines or fomentation?

Though it is difficult to give an exact cause of the pain without an examination but I shall try to guide you. The throbbing pain can be either vascular in origin or associated with the muscles. As it is restricting the opening of the joint it is most likely to be muscular in origin. I suggest that you get it examined by an orthopedic doctor and get a MRI done.

If anlagesics give you relief then do continue taking it till the investigation reports are available.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts of the case.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
http://goo.gl/SuCjl
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later
There is no swelling. The pain is constant but the sometimes it becomes worse. If I bend it a certain way it hurts very bad. Right now it hurts to open it all the way or to close it all the way so I feel like I have to keep it in an awkward position. I have not tried any medications yet.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 10 minutes later

Thank you for the update.

I suggest that you consult an orthopedic doctor and get a MRI done. In the interim you can take some analgesics and do hot fomentation for immediate relief.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Rajiv