Shall i take thyronorm tablet for thyroid problem?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Can you pls suggest whether thyronorm half tablet for thyroid is still to be taken on a regular basis.. I have detailed below my mother in law medical details in the medical history.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 6 hours later
Hi Ms XXXXXXX
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Thyroid replacement (Thyronorm) has to be taken regularly – LIFELONG.
The dose is adjusted on TSH level.
Your mother-in-law’s TSH was a bit high – after 50 microgram, it is higher than before! This is an indication to INCREASE the dose – from 50 to 75 microgram. We should repeat the level again after 2 months, and adjust again.
________________________________________________________________
Dizziness is vague term - unsteadiness. If there is definite sense of rotation, it is vertigo.
If it is from getting up from bed, it may be from postural hypo-tension – check the pressure lying and standing. Is her pressure normal?
It can be from anaemia – what is her haemoglobin?
Has an ECG been done? Hopefully, ECG, blood pressure, blood counts and other investigations have been done and are normal?

The body's balancing mechanism is in the inner ear. An ENT (Ear Nose Throat) specialist is the one to see - especially in the presence of tinnitus. They have special tests to confirm or exclude the contribution of the ear - which probably is the case with her.

A normal MRI is reassuring. MRA (MRI angiography) shows blood vessels and is generally done, if the symptoms continue.
____________________________________________________________
Glycomet-GP1 is a combination of Metformin (500 mg) and Glimipiride 1 mg.
When there is giddiness, we have to consider low sugar levels (Hypoglycaemia). Was it checked that time?
Half tablet is really small dose – if she is doing well on this, you may omit Glimipiride and try only Metformin. Start 500 mg after supper; may step up twice or even more – depending on blood sugar levels.
______________________________________________________
All diabetics should have their lipids (Cholesterol) checked...
Hopefully, they are normal..
_________________________________________________________
All diabetics are also generally given a small dose of ACE blocker (like Ramipril) to protect the kidneys in the long term. This medicine is generally given for blood pressure, but here it is given even if the pressure is normal.
_______________________________________________________
Aspirin in small doses (baby aspirin / 75 to 100 mg) prevents platelets action. It is therefore helpful in reduction of vascular events like heart and brain. It is usually given, if there is no contraindication like acidity or bleeding. Your mother-in-law may benefit.

You are a great daughter-in-law indeed - concern for you mother-in-law like mother. I am sure, She will do well with your attention.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck