Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Severe cough with mucus, wheezing after coughing, shortness of breath. Smoker, hard to quit smoking. Suggestion?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Cardiologist, Interventional
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 424 Questions
When should I suggest to my doctor?I have had this terrible cough that won't quit a after two weeks. I do smoke, but I have been cutting way down. I always cough up mucus, but can't spit it out as it just seems too disgusting. When I cough (which is happening more than it was when it all started) I keep hearing a gurgaling noise when I breathe but it s doesn't seem to last.My wife also said that she noticed a wheezing sound after I cough, but I wrote that off as being part of the mayocardial bridge that my cardiologist keeps an eye on every 6 months. I also figured that my shortness of breath was related to that bridging. My primary physician sent me for a chest x-ray and blood work, also asking me to spit in a cup, but I just can't seem to do that. It's been extremely hard to quit smoking after 30 years. Is there any possibility that these issues could be related? I don't want to sound like a hypochondriac, but my doctor said that if she didn't see anything obvious that she would sent me to an E.N.T. Specialist. I am really just curious if you think these issues might be related and how? Would it be appropriate to suggest something to my doctor? If so, what might that be? P.S. My 50th Birthday is December 30th.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 9 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

The classic description you give, fits more into pulmonary cause (related to lungs) rather than heart and myocardial bridge.

It obiviously is related to smoking and you seem to be suffering from COPD (Chronic Obstructive pulmonary Disease) which could have been worsened because of infection or weather changes.

In my opinion you are better off seeing a pulmonologist. I would also suggest you should have echocardiogram and pulmonary function test done, if you haven't done them in last few weeks.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor