Owl Image

Severe abdominal and back pain. Scan showed enlarged kidney and cyst on liver. What's wrong?

Urologist
Question
I had very severe pain - left side of abdoman and back immediately following a surgical operation for prolapse - obviously unrelated to the surgery. My GP suspected a kidney stone and sent me for a scan which showed an enlarged left kidney and a cyst on the liver. Is there a connection and is it more likely to be polycystic than a kidney stone?
Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 41 minutes later
Dear Madam,
As per our previous discussion, a stone is more likely than a polycystic kidney. The enlarged kidney on your ultrasound probably signifies that there is a swelling on the kidney, a condition known as hydronephrosis. You need to be investigated with a further CT scan. For polycystic kidneys to be diagnosed at your age, at least 2 cyst in both the kidneys would need to be present.
Let me know if you have additional concerns.

Sincerely

Rajiv Goel