Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Semen analysis done. Can I impregnate my wife?

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9625 Questions
Hi, my husband got his semen analysis results and I want to know how bad this is :(
Count 85 million
Category a: 5%
Category b: 75%
Total progressive: 80%

Morphology: 5%

How bad are these results? My age is 24 and his age is 29. We have been trying for only 3 months, but got terrified by the results
Posted Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Thanks for your query.

Based on the report of semen analysis of your husband, it is clear that he has what is called as Asthenospermia. It is essential that percentage of grade a motile sperm should be minimum 15% to result into fertilization of a female egg.

To be honest, there are no medicines that can increase the motility of sperms. There are many medicines in every faculty of medical science that claim to be effective to increase the sperm motility. However not a single drug has been proved scientifically to prove their claim.
Please repeat the Semen analysis in a renowned Andrology Lab where semen analysis is done by computerized technique and by well trained technicians.

If the results are same as it is now, then consult an Infertility Specialist for proper evaluation who may advise you to go for help of new assisted reproductive technology like IVF or ICSI.

Please feel free to ask if you have more questions. I shall be happy to help you.

Thanks with Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Semen analysis done. Can I impregnate my wife? 25 minutes later
Thanks for your response. I was reading online that the total progressive motility of the sperm should be >50%. In my husband's case it is 80% and although category a is low would he still be considered having a major problem?
What's our chances of getting pregnant naturally? :( we are so devastated. my Obg told me that is it possible but might take longer. What do you suggest?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Thanks for writing back.
It is the grade (a) sperms which move very fast forward in a straight line that are important as far as fertilization of female egg is concerned. Rest of the sperms, though motile are least important .

The reason that I have suggested you to repeat a semen analysis is that in a specialised andrology lab, semen analysis is done by highly sophisticated equipments where chances of human error are almost zero . A correct report helps us take the right decision.
I have explained you the realities and fallacies involved in this complex procedure. Also, I do not want him to be treated on an experimental basis time and money.
I personally think there is no harm in consulting a Infertility Specialist as results of treatment in male infertility are very precarious. So it is always advisable to take the help of a consultant specialised in this field. Given the research and the advances in this field, there is no reason why you should not conceive and have a baby .
Hope that helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Semen analysis done. Can I impregnate my wife? 23 minutes later
Thanks a lot doctor. We actually have the test twice and the numbers were similar with a three months gap. However, I will try to look for an Andrology Lab here in Singapore as we are expats in Singapore. Last question is, does smoking really affect motility? what about stress? I would definitely seek help from an infertility specialist to get things clear and easy for us.

Thanks a lot for your quick response. you gave me hope :)
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 7 minutes later

Thanks for accepting my suggestions happily. Smoking and stress do not play role as far as motility of the sperm is concerned. Please feel free to ask any more queries. I shall be happy to know the report of recent Semen Analysis.

Thanks with Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor