Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Rubbed eyes, itching, allergic conjunctivitis, trauma, penetrative injury

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2580 Questions
I rubbed my eyes pretty hard earlier today. They were itching like crazy. Now my left eye has a gelatin looking buckled place on it. What have I done and what do I need to do about it?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later

Thanks for your query.

Do you have redness of the eye?

Do you have excessive watering from the eye?

Allergic conjunctivitis / Viral conjunctivitis are the most common causes of itching of the eyes. The symptoms that you have are probably due to one of the above condition.

Both these are non concerning condition that resolve with time.

Antiallergy eye drops which are OTC at some locations may be used. Do not use these drops if you use contact lenses. You can install 1-2 drops of this into each eyes twice a day for 2 days.

Avoid rubbing the eyes.

You will need to watch out for few symptoms - such as excessive redness, burning pain, fever, sticky discharge. You will need to consult an ophthalmologist if these symptoms appear.

The symptoms that you currently have are non concerning now and as mentioned is likely to improve. You need now worry.

Hope I have answered your query.

If you have any more query, you can write back to me. I will be available to answer them as well.

Wish you speedy recovery.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Rubbed eyes, itching, allergic conjunctivitis, trauma, penetrative injury 4 hours later
My concern is not so much with the itchiness, but the fact that I must have torn the gelatin-like cover of my eye and now that is buckled up. It seems to have re-adhered to my eyeball overnight some and is not as puffed up. That was my main question, though, what to do about that part. I believe that part of the eye is called the sclera?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 8 hours later

Thanks for following up.

White part of the eye referred to as sclera is covered by a thin layer of membrane called as 'Palpebral Conjunctiva.' There are instances where odematous fluid gets collected between the sclera and the palpebral conjuctiva. This condition is referred as Chemosis.

Conjuctiva or scleral tears are very unlikely caused by just rubbing. Rather a hard blunt trauma or a penetrating injury can cause the tears. And moreover you should be experiencing pain with area of severe redness around it, if it were to be a tear.

As your descriptions don't match the later, it is more likely that the shinning buckling that you see in the white part of the eye is chemosis.

Chemosis is again a non concerning problem. It is often seen associated with an allergic/irritation or viral infection induced conditions such as allergic conjuctivitis or an infective conjuctivitis. Since you do not report severe itching or redness, the symptoms is expected to recover on its own in a few days.

Consult an ophthalmologist if symptoms of itching/redness/increase in chemosis occur. You may need the eye drops then.

I hope it is clear now.

Wish you good health and faster recovery.

Warm Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor