Red line rashes appeared on mouth and have strep throat. How to get rid of it?

Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Skin Rash
Question: My 20 yr old son away at college told me tonight that he has a thick red line, approx 1 1/2 long and 1/4 inch wide line vertically next to his mouth. He didn't scratch it. He had his palm resting on his face studying this morning for about ten minutes and then a friend said what's on your face? My son said it does not hurt, his skin is not swollen, and he feels well. He said it has not grown since this morning. As a child he had a lot of strep throat, but not in last ten years. When he was 7 yrs old he had staph enter a sore on his knee and a red line traveled toward his femoral artery, luckily caught in time before it hit that area. I saw this thick line on his face tonite, as he texted me a picture. It is XXXXXXX red and looks 1/4 inch thick and almost 2 inches long, vertical, straight, by the labial (sp?) fold. He is going to student health center tomorrow at 11 am PST. I am very worried and told him to go to a hospital emergency room if it starts to grow tonite. Please advise and thank you in advance.
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 3 hours later
Dear,

The description which you have given your 20 yrs old son has developed rash on his face which does not itch which does not hurt and he is physically okay. I think if the rash dose not fade under pressure, most likely this is purpura simplex or fragile capillary purpura. Here the small blood vessels rupture and bleeding occurs under the skin.

There is no treatment available and it is seldom fatal. You have done right thing asking him to go to hospital emergency room if condition worsens. But I think he will be okay.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if you need further guidance.

Kindest regards,
Dr.S.K.Mukherjee

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 1 hour later
Thank you for your information. We're you able to see the picture I sent of my son's red line on his face?
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 48 minutes later

Thank you for sending the picture of the rash. I had seen the skin rash of your son. Will you ask your son whether the rash disappears on pressure, or remains unchanged and let me know?

Dr S K. Mukherjee

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 22 minutes later
Yes I will do that, thank you very much for your help. I very much appreciate your guidance as I am far away from my son. I will get back yo you tomorrow morning after I text him early before his first class.
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 10 hours later
You are welcome.

I will be waiting for our answer to comment on it further.

Dr Mukherjee