Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Recurring UTI after having sex, urine culture showed E.coli. Is there a permanent cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions
I am 30F, I am suffering from Recurring UTI since last one Year. I got UTI after my first Sexual intercourse and since than it reoccur every time I do sex. I want to know is there any permanent cure to this problem. I have visited several doctors for this purpose. Last time I had urine culture, It is diagnosed that my problem is with e.choli. Is this a STI, Do my partner also need to be tested. Thanks.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 44 minutes later
Thanks for the query.
Recurrent UTI is a common problem in women who are sexually active.The cause basically happens to be infection due to inadequate hygiene during or after sexual intercourse.The bacteria causing this is called E.coli.Its not a sti. But can be transmitted from sexual partners if poor hygiene is maintained during or after intercourse.You need to make sure that your partner and you both are maintaining good cleanliness esp after sex. Also recurrent infections are more common in diabetics so make sure you are tested. Drink plenty of water and you can try TRACFREE which is a medicine that helps in recurrent utis. In case you dont get any relief you should go for a cystoscopy to check if there is any damage to the bladder wall.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor