Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Recovering from partial paralytic attack. Started getting muscle pain and vibration on leg. Any advice?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 706 Questions
My father who is aged 78 suffered from partial paralytic attack due to blood clot in his brain.
His right side of the body was affected including speech. However he has recovered to some extent over last 8 months with help from Physiotherapist and continuing medicines.

However he has continuously been complaining about muscle pain and irritating as well as painful vibrations In the right side of his leg, body and in the head.

We have consulted many doctors including Neurologist, General Physician and Homeopathic as well while still getting physiotherapy as well. This hasn't solved the problem as yet and he has been repeatedly complaining of mentioned problem. This is an acute problem has he sometimes even cries owing to this irritating and painful problem and he always remains fearful and concerned.

Are these symptoms of any other undetected problem or are there any post paralytic rehabilitation centers which can be consulted by us.

Please advice.

Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 1 hour later

Thanks for posting this query.

I have noted the complaints that you have mentioned.

Please note that the symptoms and signs related to cardiovascular diseases (stroke either due to bleed or blood clots in the brain) depends upon the area of the brain affected.

The presence of symptoms in the right side and speech problem would suggest that the left side of the brain is affected (the left side controls the right side and the language area is also situated in the left side). The other problem that you have mentioned could be a damage related to left side of thalamus/parietal lobe. I am sorry I have not seen any of scans or reports with this query.

This symptom can be controlled with one of these medicines : Pregabaline, gabapentine, duloxtetine etc. If you are not on this already, please discuss with your neurologist for the same. Apart from regular physiotherapy, you will have to start him on one of these medicines.

If you are from India, the best rehabilitation centers are there in CMC Vellore, NIMHANS Bangalore, AIIMS Delhi.

He has to be on blood thinner and other medicines, which your treating doctor would have already prescribed, to prevent future stroke.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor