Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Recommend type of specialist for EIA,asthma and allergies

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 1126 Questions
Recommended type of Specialist? Since Sports Med seems Orthopedic oriented, I'm guessing Pulmonologist. What used to be mild EIA, triggered only by intense effort (Running, Biking, Swimming, X-C Ski) changed to more of a shut down mode. Even 2 ProAir puffs prior to start does not help. Have to be near (90-95%) Lactate or Anaerobic threshold for 10-20 min to trigger. Then cycling watts and HR both drop fast, and cannot get enough oxygen to avoid sharp drop, at all. Takes a long time at very conservative effort (50-60% Lactate Threshold to have any hope of recovery. XXXXXXX Protocol Cardio Stress Test normal, but maxed out at 18-19 min. Was not at high levels long enough to trigger problem. EKG and all other tests normal. First ever occurrence was March 2013, one month after getting over first ever UTI. Coincidence? (This was the only thing different that I could determine.) Better now, but can still occasionally be an issue, under high, sustained effort circumstances.
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Your symptoms are ainly because of EIA. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX I am a pulmonologist and I`ll try and answer your query on EIA, asthma and allergies. But I may not be the right person to comment on lactate or anaerobic threshold or cycling watts etc. You may have to consult a sports medicine expert for this. As mentioned, you do have EIA which means you have asthma which may get triggered any time by various allergens around you. You are taking ProAir which seem to be helping you. If you have only EIA, you should take it 10 to 15 min before any kind of strenuous activity. But if you have more persistent or recurrent symptoms, I suggest you take another inhaler like foracort/formonide. You may also take a tablet called montair lc. Consult your physician for proper dosing and technique of taking inhalers. Any infection in the body can be a trigger for bronchospasm esp in a person with known history of allergy.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor