Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

R calve swelled up and knee paining. Back of knee is tender and fluid. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14838 Questions
hi i was digging with spade when i knocked my R calve it swelled up and then my knee started to ache, now knee has fluid on it knee cap hurts aches and grinds , back of knee is tender and fluid, swelling pain i can hardly walk or put pressure on it ??
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 32 hours later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

If there was no previous history of pain and discomfort prior to the injury then it is most likely related to the trauma that you experienced.
Physical trauma can result in injury to the bones or to the soft tissue. Soft tissue would refer to injury to the muscles, surrounding connective tissue, ligaments or tendons.

In terms of bone injury (fracture) this would be associated with severe unremitting pain, swelling, deformity of the area involved. For a fracture to occur, however, the trauma would have to severe which may not be possible with the trauma you are describing.

It is more likely that it is soft tissue damage that you are experiencing. Trauma can cause a bursa to form . A bursa is a fluid filled sac.
Swelling can also in the absence of a bursa . This occurs because trauma causes the release of certain chemicals into the body , these chemicals encourage fluid to move from inside the cells into the surrounding tissue.

To reduce your symptoms you would need to : (1) rest the limb as much as possible
(2)apply ice therapy to the areas involved, this would reduce the swelling and discomfort
(3) a compression bandage should be applied , this would also help to reduce the swelling. In addition the bandage, by reducing the swelling would also help reduce any pain felt
(4)elevation- if you can elevate you leg , it would also be helpful
(5) ibuprofen, aspirin, cataflam, celebrex.
These should be used on a full stomach.

If you employ these measures for 1 to 3 days with no relief or improvement of symptoms then you may want to consider visiting your doctor for an evaluation.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor