Protein in Urine. Will micoalbumin test help?

Dr. Rajiv goel

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 25 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Protein in Urine please help if you can
======
I would really appreciated if someone can help me.
I recently had my yearly physical and they found protein in my urine. the results are 2+. Is this considered and abnormally high result? when the doctor called me he told me that it was a trace and when i got my results in the mail it said 2+. Is 2+ consider abnormally high? I guess them want to do a micoalbumin test. I called back and talked to the nurse and she told me it was just a trace of protein but everything i read online says its high :(
can someone please explain my test results? should i be concerned? been to every pharmacy looking for protein test strips :( cant find any. My urine test was done at a labratory not in the doctors office. please help if you can
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 7 hours later
Dear,

I do not agree with your doctors. Though the report is just a qualitative analysis 2 + protein in the urine is certainly high. You need to be investigated further with urine micralbumin and 24 hrs urine albumin (quantitative analysis). Both tests can be done in the laboratory.

These test gives you the clear results on the quantity of protein in the urine.

In addition to these test, I also suggest that you get you glucose levels and blood pressure checked if they haven't been tested yet.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you good luck.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad