Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
186 Doctors are Online

Pregnant. Having brown discharge. Scan showed small portion of blood below baby. Should I be worried?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 6410 Questions
I am about 6 wks pregnant and am having some minimal brownish discharge . Sonogram today showed a small portion of blood "below" the baby . Not really sure what this means however I did feel that the Dr I seen today which is not my regular Dr somewhat over reacted and scared the heck out of me . Should I be worried ? Right off the bat she started saying no sex, no exercise, no heavy lifting and has recommended taking time off work if I'm still spotting in a day or so . I really feel fine I just wet in because I noticed the spotting.The only other thing I've noticed is white stringy mucus/tissue in my urine . I don't notice when I clean myself I've just seen it in my urine. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.Thanks
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Rest and monitoring are necessary.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us.

Indeed, you have a threatened abortion, but, there is no reason to panic. You should take absolute bed rest until all the symptoms subside, avoid any form of stress including intercourse. Avoid lifting weights and travel as it puts undue stress on the uterus. These are all precautions to see that the hemorrhage in the uterus does not increase; if it does, it can harm the pregnancy.

You would need monitoring; repeat the sonogram after a few days to see the fate of the bleed and the fetal well being. Simultaneous monitoring of serum beta-hCG levels can provide better vision if needed. You may also have progesterone supplements if your doctor feels so; they are not necessary or useful in every case. Just relax,eat well and take rest; let the doctors do the job.

Hope your query is clarified. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor