Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
197 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Pregnant. Have had clear liquid coming out of ear. Which specialist should I consult?

Answered by
Dr. Vineet Saggar

Neurologist, Surgical

Practicing since :2002

Answered : 173 Questions

Posted on Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: cerebral spinal fluidI have had clear liquid coming out of my ear since 2004 when I had a severe car accident and I went face first through the windshield I have expressed the doctors about this and I keep giving me antibiotics for infection but tell me they cannot see anything wrong with my ears over the years I have been having MS symptoms and I'm just now learning about CSf I am very scared because I'm 8 weeks pregnant and I have a lot of problems I cannot explain to you what my brain goes through and what it feels like I have severe pressure in my head behind my ears all around my head severe headaches severe pain and sometimes burning around my eyes and spine pain sometimes I cannot walk very well I recently just had emergency surgery and they gave me a spinal since I was pregnant could not be put to sleep I have had a lot of problem since then I am losing my memory and I am also losing my hearing I do not have a doctor I live in XXXXXXX County and I don't know how to tell in the ER without sounding crazy and them telling me Its anxiety like most doctors in my past have told me recently I've been put on Tegra tall and klonapin but before I was put on any medication my skull felt like it was breaking and I was having severe pressure in my head neck and spine I really don't know what to do or how to go about this or how about getting a doctor to take me seriously or who to contact is there anyway you can help is there any way they can do a test well I am 8 weeks pregnant
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 9 hours later
Dear Friend,

It is very unusual for CSF otorrhoea to persist for long but if it is persisting it would be better that you go for MR cisternography to detect site of leak.

If discharge is profuse you can also collect it and send it for lab examination. Your symptoms of headache could be because of intracranial hypotension due to excessive CSF leakage.

If you are pregnant tegretol should be avoided, kindly consult your neurosurgeon for changing the drugs.

Do let me know if you have more concerns.

Dr Vineet

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Vineet Saggar 2 days later
Can I use a q tip to collect the sample?
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 3 hours later
Dear Friend

No, it cannot be used to collect the sample you are required to collect in a glass test tube during the time when discharge is abundant.

Dr. Vineet Saggar (MCh)
Neuro Surgeon / Spinal Surgeon
Chandigarh, Mohali -
Ivy Hospital Sector 71
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Spinal cord

doctor1 MD

hi, my previous cervical spine mri findings was : straightening of the lordosis and disc dessication c3-c4,c5-c6 my new cervical spine mri finding...

doctor1 MD

my son has been told thet he has protrusion of teh T7-T8 and T8-T9 discs ehich is distorting the thecal sac and possibly abutting the cord...

doctor1 MD

Hi I have 2 ruptured cervical discs with spinal cord impingement, while I was at the surgeons office I was also told I have a pituitary...

doctor1 MD

My husbands arms and legs hurt. Sometimes it s a burning sensation sometimes it s dull pain. Sometimes it s only his legs; sometimes only his arms....

doctor1 MD

Hello. I've been having trouble keeping my eyes open and focused. I had a sinus infection which was treated but this has been happening before...

doctor1 MD

I am a 77year old female . Uti have been with me for 40 some years. The start over the back my shoulders, down both arms, into both hands and...

doctor1 MD

I have had a condition for the past 4 years that results mostly from neck movement. The symptoms are full body profuse sweating , rapid rise in...