Pregnant. Diagnosed with moderate left atrial enlargement and mild mitral regurgitation. What should I do?

Dr. Anil Grover

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: im mid-forties and 22 weeks pregnant with first child and diagnosed with moderate left atrium enlargement and mild mitral regurgitation. i've also gained 30 lbs in the past 6 months and have gone from a high aerobic exercise routine to a occasional pilates classes (5 in past 6 months). only change in diet is heavy carbs, beef, and milk/cheese. Cardiologist didn't seem too worried but said i should come back for a heart sonogram and ekg in 10 months (50 6 months post natal). but this still sounds like a major warning sign.

is there anything that i can do to fix this problem.
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I have enough experience of fetal echocardiography to advice you the following.

What you have to to understand in fetus the de oxygenated blood from fetal limbs and brain and oxygenated blood mixes and forms the combined ventricular output which in some cases can lead to leakage of blood in left ventricular valve with left atrial enlargement (in fetus all 4 chambers 2 ventricles and atria are almost of the same size). After birth de oxygenated blood from limbs and brain of newly born goes to right ventricle and then to lungs (in fetus lungs are not active as fetus is dependent on mother for oxygenation) where it is oxygenated and through pulmonary veins into left ventricle. Thus instead of combined ventricular output ventricles handle half of the blood there is no admixture unlike that in fetus. So, like your cardiologist, you ought not to worry as in all probability everything will be fine. Incidentally, your gain of weight has got nothing to do with this type of 'defect' in fetal heart. Follow your obstetrician's advice. If you have any question for me I will be most happy to answer. Good Luck

Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover