Planning to conceive. Is it safe to take gluconorm r for PCOD?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Question: I have recently detected with PCOD, and she has prescribed me tablet Gluconorm R (500mg)
I wanted to check if this is fine for me.
I am 30 year female , married 5 months back, planning pregrency and my current weight is 79KG.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 25 hours later

Poly cystic ovary disease is characterized by menstrual irregularities like delayed or absence of periods, anovulation and insulin resistance etc.
Metformin is a insulin sensitizer and helps in treating the insulin resistance of the PCOD.
By this it also helps in hormonal regularization. Which will increase the chances of pregnancy.
So you can continue taking gluconorm R as prescribed by your doctor.
Along with this decreasing the body weight and maintaining ideal weight for your height will help in treating the PCOD.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 53 minutes later
thanks for your reply but my blood sugar levels are fine and in the limit.
Also my other hormonal tests are under control and insulin resistance.
I got checked on 2nd day of my period.
could you still suggest to take Gluconorm daily twice?

Rehards,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 6 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

If there is no insulin resistance according to the reports, then the role of insulin sensitizer is doubtful.
So you can stop using after consulting your doctor. And try to reduce your weight which will help in treating PCOD.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.