Placed Mirena, abdominal pain, bloated stomach, spotted vision, tingling

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Question: 31 y/o female, 3 mo. post baby, Mirena placed 1 week ago. I can hardly walk, severe pain in right side. Stomach is bloated, this hit me all of a sudden. I'm burning up hot but not fever wise, I'm sweating but it's a strange cold sweat. The pain is unreal, worse than contractions. It is however day 5 of my cycle. Pain so severe I can't catch my breath. Is this normal, Vision is spotted & seeing black spots , I'm very tingly but in a hot sweaty tingle all over. Weak, right side pain
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 26 minutes later

Thanks for the question.

Though your symptoms are not specific for one particular cause, they arise high suspicion of appendicitis.

Other causes which can present like this are ovarian cyst, ovarian torsion, intestinal obstruction, colitis, renal stone or PID.

In view of severity of symptoms, I would suggest to see your doctor sooner. Ideally any such pain should be investigated by sonography to know underlying cause.

After sonography appropriate treatment can be planned.

Please ask if there are doubts.

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 15 hours later
Thank you for a quick response. I would like to be a little more specific, if I may. This may help your suggestion for me. I am having severe pain, worse than a laor contraction, in my right abdominal area. It feels comparable to a uterine contraction, but it does not ease up any. It starts suddenly, and continues for about 30 minutes, without stopping. Ive recently had an IUD-Mirena placed about a week ago. I also just gave birth on May 14, 2012. Since her birth, I've had regular menstral periods. I've had regular BM every other day, that's normal for me. Back to the pain it starts, stays constant but as it gets more piercing it sends pain down almost to my right hip bone, it's just very oddly to the right. It started a few days ago, and each day becomes more frequent. The first day it only happened once, second day a few more and now it's up to already 4 times that I've had an attack. I want to say they are spasms but it doesn't ease up for a solid 20-30 minutes. I hope this may generalize my symptoms more. Thank you again for a speedy reply
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 5 hours later

Thanks for follow up question.

Since this is intermittent spasmodic type of pain, it seems more likely to be intestinal issue.Few things which can present like this are colitis,sub-acute intestinal obstruction or intermittent volvulus. Of this colitis is less likely. Since these conditions can be intermittent you can have normal bowel movements.Other important thing which can present like this is ovarian torsion.

Since it is difficult to pin point the underlying cause just on basis on symptoms , I would suggest you to go ahead with sonography sooner.

Sometimes such issues can lead to an emergency, so please consider early medical attention.

Please ask if there are follow up question.

Regards.