Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Penis hemorrhage, bright red blood, heavy bleeding from veins. Should we go to the ER?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 4036 Questions
Female that had a male partner tonight, 65 yrs old very well endowed that began hemorraghing bright red blood from tip of penis during vigorous copulation, takes aspirin but no more meds no prior hx, no pain. Maybe lost as much as 1/2-1 unit of blood. Got the bleeding to stop by applying pressure but penis is now swollen out of shape, don't think ER can really do much about this now but advised him to see a urologist asap which would realistically be sometime next week as this is a holiday weekend. Never heard of this happening to anyone before. So bright I assume it was arterial rather than venous blood from the prostate. What do you think? Would a pressure wrap be advised and or help the swelling go down more quickly? Right now there is no pain although I assume it will become sore from the swollen state. I told him I thought it would be wise to to have a urology consult but it's not gonna happen in this town on a weekend even if he were admitted it wouldn't be before Monday or Tuesday, and as long as the bleeding has stopped I don't think the ER can do anything else for him nor does he want the embarrassment of an ER visit after potentially a 12 hour wait if they can't do anything more than we can at home.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 37 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.

I can understand your concern.

I would strongly recommend that you make a visit to the ER and get him evaluated as soon as possible

The reason for this kind of unusual bleeding could be many, but the common ones are

•     Tear of the frenulum
•     Urethral injuries
•     Penile Fracture: This is a surgical emergency and need to be treated as soon as possible.

All of this needs immediate medical attention, evaluation and treatment.

He may require further investigation depending upon the cause, and further treatment would then depend upon the determined cause.

I would suggest an analgesic like Tablet Tylenol 650 mg be given for pain relief.
I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries that you have.

In case you do not have follow up query, please accept the answer.



Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor